Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Stone #3 The Bible is God's Word of Truth


John 17:17
"Santify them in the truth, your Word is truth."

Psalm 19:7-9
"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether."

2 Timothy 3:14-17
"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.  All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

If God created everything in this world and there is no division between what is secular and sacred, then knowing God and His Word should be the chief aim of our lives. 

For this particular stone, John MacArthur has some comments that express it much better than I could.  The following are excepts from his book "Right Thinking in a World Gone Wrong."

"It is common in the evangelical church today for people to verbally acknowledge that the Bible, as God's Word, is the final authority for both what they believe and how they live.  Yet in reality, a clear connection between that public confession and personal conduct is rare.  The fact is that far too many professing Christains live their lives, day in and day out, on the basis of something other than the Bible.  As a result, their priorities reflect the world's priorities, not God's."

If I remembered this stone more often; then the way I honor my wife, the way I raise my children, the way I perform my work, the way I spend my money, and the way I treat others should be a reflection of God's grace, love, and righteousness.  If my actions are otherwise, then I either don't know his Word or refuse to obey it.  May God continue to grant us mercy when it's the latter.

May we be captivated by His Truth and compelled to His service,
troy

No comments: